Compliance & Policies

Scheduling Events in University Space Through Individual Departments

The following spaces are scheduled by the specific department listed.

Alumni House

The Alumni House may be used only for administrative or alumni functions. It is scheduled through the Alumni Office. For more information call 935-5200.

Athletic Complex and Outdoor Athletic Facilities Including the Football Practice Field, Francis Field, Kelly Field, and Mudd Field

These facilities are managed and supervised by the Athletic Department. They are heavily used for physical education classes, varsity and club sports, intramural sports and recreation. Priority is given to these activities and schedules are made early - in some cases, a year or more in advance.

The procedure for reserving and/or renting these facilities is to contact T. J. Shelton, Facility Manager, at 935-4553 and complete a Facility Reservation Request Form. Requests must be made a minimum of four (4) weeks in advance. Events may not interfere with any on-going is prohibited. Failure to comply with these procedures may be considered a violation of the University Student Judicial Code.

Additional Notes Regarding Mudd Field:

The availability of the field for use will be indicated by four (4) signs. It should be understood that damages to the field that occur while it is posted CLOSED will be considered vandalism.

The field is to be used exclusively by Washington University students, faculty, and staff. Certain other Patios and Grounds

Residential areas are primarily for the use of residents of the specific area. Lounges, etc., may be reserved for events through Residential Life. The outside sound amplification policy will be strictly enforced on the South Forty. For more information on the outside sound amplification policy refer to pages 23-24 or call the Residential Life Center at 935-5050.

Simon Hall

Simon Hall is reserved through Tim Herman, Building and Audio Visual Coordinator for the School of Business. For more information call Tim Herman at 935-5770.

Steinberg Auditorium

This is scheduled through the office of the Director of the Washington University Gallery of Art in Steinberg Hall. For more information call 935-5490.

Wohl Center

Wohl Lounge (Friedman Lounge): Friedman Lounge is a comfortably furnished room located on the south side of Wohl Center. It is available to all residents as a quiet study area and for piano playing. Private meetings and "closed" events will not be scheduled in Friedman, unless special permission is granted by Residential Life. Reservations for public events, exhibits, etc. may be made by contacting the Residential Life receptionist. A deposit is required if food and/or beverages are served and a refund is granted based on the condition of the room after the event. All furniture must be returned to its original location.

Dining Rooms: the second floor is scheduled through the Food Service Office, 935-5055. The policies for general usage apply.

General Usage: a Space Reservation Request Form is required for any space reservation in Wohl Center. These forms are available at the Residential Life Center. Reservations are not accepted over the phone. Events scheduled in Wohl Center should end no later than the following closing times: 1:00 am - Friday and Saturday; 12:00 midnight - Monday-Thursday; 11:00 pm - Sunday. A deposit may be required depending on the planned use of the facility. Alcoholic beverages are normally not permitted in the building or on the grounds of Wohl Center. Exceptions may be made in advance for specific events by Residential Life. For more information call the Residential Life Center at 935-5050.

Failure to comply with any of the guidelines specified above for use of Wohl Center facilities, etc., may result in denial of future requests for use of the facilities.

Use of Facilities By Individuals and Groups Not Affiliated With Washington University.

During the academic year, the facilities of Washington University are primarily intended for the use of the Washington University community. During the summer, University facilities are traditionally more accessible to non-profit groups not affiliated with the University.

The University reserves the right to impose any conditions or limitations upon the use of its facilities that it, in its sole discretion, deems appropriate. A copy of the complete University policy regarding the use of facilities by individuals and groups not affiliated with Washington University is available in the Office of the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Students and Dean of Students.

Candidates and Other Political Speakers

Washington University enjoys tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Section 501(c)(3) absolutely prohibits the University from participating or intervening, directly or indirectly, in any political campaign. Violation of this prohibition can result in loss of the University's tax-exempt status. Federal Elections Commission regulations also restrict certain partisan activities, and the State of Missouri Charter that established the University imposes the principle of political neutrality.

The Internal Revenue Service and Federal Elections Commission have established limited exceptions to these prohibitions, generally dealing with non-partisan educational and voter registration activities. Subject to some limitations (see the attached Guidelines), candidates and other political speakers may be invited to speak on campus. University student groups registered with the Student Union may use University facilities for meetings at which participation is limited to members of the University community in accordance with the Guidelines. University facilities may also be used to conduct non-partisan voter training and registration programs designed to increase an understanding of and participation in the electoral process. Such programs must be open to all members of the University community regardless of their political affiliation, and may not be held in coordination with any campaign-related event. University facilities may not otherwise be used for partisan political meetings, receptions, or fundraisers.

April 2004